Saturday, February 9, 2008

Chapter 5- Audri's Decision

The sun rises over the horizon, bringing light to a new day.

Deep underground Ulysses carries Audri down a long dark tunnel. The only visible light is coming from a small glowing stick held by Ulysses. Audri starts to stir, so Ulysses stops to lay him down. Audri sits up and rubs his eyes.

"So you're awake..."
"Wh-where are we? I can barely see."

Ulysses bends down and helps Audri to his feet.

"We're in one of the old Salvation tunnels. Back during the race wars and the Bestian exodus they used these tunnels to transport human survivors."
"How'd we get here?"
"Well, basically, you passed out during our nice little run in with Nalin and the Bestian. I managed to get us down here and wipe our path clean. There's nothing a little chemistry can't solve."
"Huh?"

Ulysses starts walking.

"Nevermind kid."

Ulysses waves his hand; signaling Audri to follow. Audri starts walking close behind Ulysses.

"We should keep movin'. We still have at least 9 miles to go and there's no food down here."
"What happened to the bags I packed?"
"Well in all the hubbub of escaping I forgot the food. Heh, maybe if you hadn't fainted we could be munchin' on some fish."

Audri stops and folds his arms. It takes Ulysses a moment to notice. Ulysses stops an turns to Audri.

"What? Did I hit a soar spot?"

Audri looks down at his feet.

"Look kid, we don't have time for you to pout. If you're easily frightened that's fine, I don't care, but just keep movin'."

Audri clenches his fist.

"I'm not a coward!"
"Hey... No one said you were a coward. Relax. I was jokin' with you."

Ulysses turns around and starts to walk forward.

"But if you don't wanna to die down here you might want to keep up."

Audri slams his fist against the tunnel wall and tears begin to stream down his face. He starts to walk forward but stays a few steps behind Ulysses.
__________________________________________________________________


Meanwhile, Nalin and Sol approach a large tower. The area is nothing but dirt and what appears to be ruins of a city. There is a giant emblem of a blacksmith's hammer on the tower door. Nalin pushes open the door open and looks up what seems to be an endless staircase. The two men begin to trek the staircase.

"I've always hated this place. He needs to build a goddamn elevator. I mean, seriously!"
"Just keep quiet. Lord Hephaestus isn't gonna be happy that we failed."
"Well how the hell'd we know that bastard would pop out and take the kid?"
"No excuses, let just be smart about this."

Nalin and Sol continue up the stairs and discuss their plan of action.
___________________________________________________________________

In the meantime night falls on the outskirts of a large
rundown metropolitan town with a broken sign reading "Welcome to New Russia." Ulysses and Audri emerge from a manhole.

"Alright kid, we're here."
"Where are we?"
"These are the remains of New Russia. I have a small house here. We'll be able to get food in town."

Ulysses and Audri start to walk towards the town. It is very dark and the ground is littered with rubble.

"You mean people live here? But it's so dirty."
"Well, not all places are as nice as where you come from. You have to remember that this city... well, this whole region has been at war since before the Seven arrived."
"Hmm. I've never been out here before. It's kinda scary. I'd never go places like this with my mom. She used to keep me in the house all the time. She was worried-"

Ulysses gives Audri a firm
pat on the back.

"Heh, that would explain all the crying."
"HEY!"
"Just kiddin' you."

Ulysses rubs Audri's head.

"Take a joke, will ya, kid?"
"It's not funny. I don't like being made fun of."
"Okay, okay. So why'd your mom keep you inside all the time?"
"I think it's because she was worried that she'd lose me like she did my father. My father was a great man but he died when I was young."
"You're father's dead too, huh? I guess you just have bad luck with parents, heh."

Audri stops and clenches his fist.

"Why are you like that?! It's not funny! I just lost my mom and you're making jokes!"

Ulysses is taken aback by Audri's words and he looks down at the ground for a moment.

"Sorry kid, I've been alone for a very long time. Sensitivity isn't my thing."
"Well work on it! You don't have to be like that."

Ulysses looks at the ground again. Audri looks around the dingy area.

"So how much further are we?"

Ulysses looks around and points to a light in the distance.

"I have to make a quick stop first."
___________________________________________________________________

Back at the large tower Sol and Nalin approach a beautiful silver door with the hammer emblem in gold right in the center. Nalin knocks on the door and a gravely voice comes from beyond it.

"It's open!"

Nalin inches the door open and walks in with Sol following closely behind. The room is fully casted in iron and there are iron shards all over the floor. It is very dimly lit with the exception of a light shining down over a throne with a man in it,
Hephaestus. The darkness of the room makes it difficult to make out the details of his features.

"Who is it?"

"It is I, Nalin, and Sol is with me."
"What have you to report?"

Nalin bows down before
Hephaestus.

"We have found a child with extraordinary speed."
"Did you bring this child?"
"Unfortunately we ran into some... complications."
"What do you mean 'complications?'"
"I'll tell you what... That damned Ulysses took the kid and disappeared."

Nalin rises.

"It's true, Ossan's interference was unforseen, but we'll find the kid."
"What happened?"
"Ossan and the kid were in the forest of Khabarovsk and then he blew up a large section and we lost track of him.
"

Hephaestus lifts his hand and winces in pain. He proceeds to rub his chin.

"Clever bastard."


Hephaestus takes a breath.

"Well, either way, I'm going to send Sol to find the kid... alone."

Hephaestus points at Nalin.

"You're staying here."
"But Lord
Hephaestus, I won't fail you aga-"

Hephaestus puts his hand up-- instantly silencing Nalin.

"You have my orders."

Nalin bows.

"Yes sir."

Hephaestus turn his attention to Sol.

"Sol, if what you've told me is true, Ulysses must have used the old Salvation tunnels. You will find him in New Russia. Go retrieve the kid."
"Goddamnit, it's just a kid."

Nalin glares back at Sol.

"Don't talk like that in front of Lord
Hephaestus. Just do as you're told, Bestian!"

Sol looks down at Nalin and growls.

"As you wish... sir, yes sir."

Sol turns and walks out the door. Nalin starts to follow.

"Wait Nalin."

Nalin stops and turns to face
Hephaestus.

"I don't understand why you insist on going out and doing soldier level missions. You're my second in command for god sake."
"Would you rather me rot inside this tower? You want me to end up wasting my strength? Maybe I'll end up like you, the once powerful 'Iron Master?'"

Hephaestus slams his fist on the arm of his throne.

"Bite your tongue!"

Nalin looks down and after a brief moment he looks up and bows.

"My apologies, Sir. If there's nothing else then I shall take my leave."

Nalin turns to leave the room. Hephaestus holds up his hand.

"Wait...There's something that I need to tell you."

Nalin stops and turns to face
Hephaestus.

"
What is it?"

Hephaestus takes a moment to form his words.

"They tell me that the Alchemist has returned."

Nalin's eyes get big and a look of shock washes over his face.

"Impossible!"
"Come with me to the Briefing Room, I'll show you the reports."

Nalin turns away from
Hephaestus.

"Don't fuck around!"
"I knew you'd be upset, but I kept you here to help us figure it out. Get it together! "

Nalin slams his fist through an adjacent wall.

"I told you it's impossible!"


Nalin looks down at the ground as he pulls his hand out of the iron wall. He turns to face
Hephaestus.

"Show me."

Hephaestus puts his hand parallel to the ground. The iron shards on the ground begin to gather up into a pile leading up to his hand. Hephaestus takes hold of the rod formed by the shards and uses it as a cane. Hephaestus stands before his throne; in the shadows tower walls.
___________________________________________________________________

Meanwhile, Ulysses and Audri stand infront of a bar called "The White Russian."

"What are we doing here?"
"I have to find someone."
"Who?"
"An old buddy of mine. I think he could help us figure out why you got people like Nalin runnin' after you."

Ulysses and Audri enter the bar. There is piano music playing and there is a series of card games going on at the tables. People are laughing and having a good time. Ulysses walks up to the bar and signals the bartender.

"Hey, I need supplies, food and a gallon of water."

The bartender looks at Ulysses and then at Audri.

"What's with the kid?"
"I found him, wanna put a bid on it? It seems to be a hot commodity these days."
"Heh, you're a riot Ulysses. Your order will be coming right up."

The bartender writes on a piece of paper and slips it in a small window behind him.

"Will you be having anything to drink?"
"Actually, I was looking to get an 'African Samurai...' On the rocks."

The bartender freezes for a second.

"Hmm... That may take some time to prepare."
"That's fine, I've got all night."

Ulysses turns to Audri and puts his hand on his shoulder.

"Audri, I'm sorry for giving you a hard time earlier. It's just... you remind me of myself when I was younger."

The bartender puts a travel pack on the bar.

"There you go."
"Thanks Carl"

Ulysses goes back to Audri.

"Right now you stand at a crossroads. You can live your life how you want to from this point on. No parents, no one to keep you locked up in your house, and no one place to call home."
"You mean like you?"
"Sort of, but for you it is different. You have not chosen this path. You were forced to run from everything you know and love."

Audri looks down at the ground. Ulysses puts his hand under Audri's chin and tilts his head up.

"The harsh truth is they'll find you no matter where you go. So you have to decide whether you want to live your life on the run or if you are going to stand firm and take on whatever comes your way."

Audri looks away.

"What's the right thing to do? I don't want to run my whole life, but I don't want to die either."
"Right... wrong... Good... Bad. These are all things you will have to discover yourself."

Ulysses throws the travel pack over his shoulder. Audri looks up at Ulysses and his eyes start to water.

"Wait... Are you leaving me here?"

Ulysses looks down at Audri, smiles, and rubs him on the head.
Loud noises are heard from outside.

"No, I'm just getting ready."

The bar door violently slams open. A man with an open kimono and a sword bursts inside the bar.

"DID SOMEONE ORDER AN AFRICAN SAMURAI?!"



Next time...

Chapter 6- Audri's strength: Enter the Alchemist

No comments: